Interactive Map Final

Link to project here.

Final Details:

Theme: For my final’s theme I decided to keep the postcard idea, except ended up making it much less detailed than initially planned. I though I had much more time to work on this project than I really did. It took me a while to figure out that this project was more about the interactions I could produce with catalyst than it was about design itself.

My goal was to recreate a day at the circus so I decided to keep using my poster project and make the object from the poster clickable, like the tent and the cage. Once you click on the tent or cage it takes you to what would be inside of the circus tent during its working hours, and describes what would normally be carried inside the cage. I would make sure the user knew things were clickable by giving them a glow effect once they rolled over the item with the mouse. Circus music and animal noises were a must-include of course.

User Testing Process:

I got good, well needed feedback during my user testing process. Morgan suggested for me to make the circus tent light up when the mouse went over it, so that the user knew it was clickable. At this point I didn’t have much interaction going on it was mostly all design work, which she said was working well so far, the colors, arrangement, and all.

Cris suggested me to include a back button in all my pages, something I hadn’t really thought about yet. So that was great! He also suggested the same thing Morgan did, to make items that were going to be clickable noticeable to the user by implementing a highlight on the mouse over of the item, or something of its kind.

The problem with my poster at this point was that I had background music but it would start over once I clicked on a item, which I didn’t like, I wanted it to play non stop.

Tools/Strategies:

I used a lot of Illustrator and Photoshop for this project. I kept changing my mind about which images I wanted to use and which ones i didn’t want to use, so I cut up a lot of new images, and redesigned my layout over and over again because of this. I spend a lot of time using photoshop to erase the background on images, cutting, and resizing images that were far too large. I also had to create images in photoshop of all the wording I used in this project because catalyst wasn’t listing the font I wanted to use, which I though was weird. Playing around with the layers in catalyst was a bit different than the other adobe programs i’ve used so far. The feature I used the most in catalyst was definetly the button feature.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: