Theme: I ended up sticking with my last mentioned idea, a circus plot/collage poster. I was hoping to recreate a circus day in the early 1900’s, the way it would look if you were looking at it from up above as a spectator. I made the poster a grayscale poster to have an even toned poster, because some images were grayscale and others were colored.
Descriptions: I started off with the banner found at the top of the circus tent. I had initially intended to make it the posters banner up top, but didn’t like how it looked. I created the simple design with the arch tool in photoshop then used the pen tool to trace its paths and gave it a background color. I then choose the circus looking font — Roosewood Std, which was already installed in my computer, and warped it to flow with the banners bottom arch. I saved that as a png file and opened it in illustrator. Once it was in illustrator I used the rectangle tool with a gradient as a color and and applied it vertically as the background.
I then focused on cropping up my most complicated images in photoshop with the pen tool and saved them as individual png files per traced character, and inserted the images into my illustrator file as I did each one. I ended up creating this poster from a mixture of 6 different images from the American Memory website.
I ended up having trouble with some of the traced png files towards the end, because once I saved them through Photoshop and transferred them to my illustrator poster file, the trimmed images started coming along with a white squared background. After having this same trouble with about 3 pictures I decided to call it a day.