April 19, 2012
Strategies: So far what has taken me the most (couple days of trying and giving up) is reducing the original illustrator poster size. My original file was too big (20MB) for Adobe Catalyst to open, the error message shown below would keep popping up.
After many attempts what worked for me was, while the poster project was open in illustrator, I selected the entire poster with the Selection Tool, then selected the Free Transform Tool and clicked and dragged one of the posters corner points while holding down the Shift button and shrunk down the image until it look tiny. I then saved it and tried opening in in Adobe Catalyst. It worked!
Once in here I had to readjust and rearrange every single image clipping to make it look like my original poster again and created a duplicate state (State 2) of it. I then created a transparent Rectangle/Elipse over the tent in State 1, selected it, went over to the Interactions tab and Converted Artwork to a Button Component, and finally Added and On Click Interaction that played transition to Application State 2, when in State 1. I then went to state to and created an ellipse, made that a button, which on click switches back to state 1.
This was ALL done with the help of my friend Gary!
Link to Visual Project
April 17, 2012
It is interesting to me how the first part of the semester, prior the first critique, I found my peers much more helpful than the internet or YouTube to be specific and was able to figure some stuff on my own. Fifty percent of my learning resources prior critique #1 was my peers, forty percent was done on my own and ten percent was via Internet. After the first critique I found almost the opposite to be true, my peers were less useful and the Internet, especially YouTube, more useful, and figured about the same amount of things on my own.
For the audio project I googled some stuff up like: How to import an audio recording into Garage Band, and Volume adjustment on Garage Band. By doing so I figured out that Garage Band was an easy to figure out program, so I went on and started playing with it after uploading my audio file recording. I found many sound clips I liked in Garage Band so I decided to stick to that program for the entire project.
My peers weren’t so much help because most of them were using different programs (PC programs) that my computer didn’t have. Gary tried helping me out with volume adjustment on garage band at one point, but we couldn’t figure it out, so I went straight to YouTube, which had several helpful videos on the topic. I did most of the audio project process on my own and spent most of my time doing actual work instead of researching how to work with a software.
The poster project I did mostly on my own from skills I had gained from the first visual project. Paul helped me out by teaching how to make all my image clippings grayscale, so that the poster could be one even color. He suggested for me to do it in Photoshop in vey simple steps and then open them in illustrator. I didn’t use YouTube much for this project, mostly because I was set on creating a poster out of a bunch of different clipping from different images. Towards the end of the project I decided I wanted to cut/split a picture (the mountain backgrounds), and after several searches, questions to my classmates, and attempts failed to figure it out. I was fine without it but could have had fun with the image if I was able to split the image. It is interesting on how I used my 3 major resources, the Internet, my peers, and me evenly thorough the course so far.
April 11, 2012
Theme: I am thinking about creating a interactive postcard. I will be pretending to to be a circus women in the the early 1900’s, sending a good friend/relative the interactive postcard. A postcard that gives him/her and idea of what my life as a circus women is; what I see on a daily basis.
I am planning to work off of my poster project. I will expand on by creating interactive parts for what goes on inside the circus tent during a show, what goes on behind the tent (all the circus animals, actors, etc.), and what goes on in front of the tent while the people purchase their tickets and enter the tent.
April 4, 2012
Theme: I ended up sticking with my last mentioned idea, a circus plot/collage poster. I was hoping to recreate a circus day in the early 1900’s, the way it would look if you were looking at it from up above as a spectator. I made the poster a grayscale poster to have an even toned poster, because some images were grayscale and others were colored.
Descriptions: I started off with the banner found at the top of the circus tent. I had initially intended to make it the posters banner up top, but didn’t like how it looked. I created the simple design with the arch tool in photoshop then used the pen tool to trace its paths and gave it a background color. I then choose the circus looking font — Roosewood Std, which was already installed in my computer, and warped it to flow with the banners bottom arch. I saved that as a png file and opened it in illustrator. Once it was in illustrator I used the rectangle tool with a gradient as a color and and applied it vertically as the background.
I then focused on cropping up my most complicated images in photoshop with the pen tool and saved them as individual png files per traced character, and inserted the images into my illustrator file as I did each one. I ended up creating this poster from a mixture of 6 different images from the American Memory website.
I ended up having trouble with some of the traced png files towards the end, because once I saved them through Photoshop and transferred them to my illustrator poster file, the trimmed images started coming along with a white squared background. After having this same trouble with about 3 pictures I decided to call it a day.